- Determination is a hallmark of any true leader and CEO of Unbreakable Records Tarissa UnbreakableSuge George has it in spades. Hailing from East Cleveland,Oh the female leader of men has gone through many tests in life to get where she is, and with out determination to make it through she would not be here today speaking with me about her label. I got to talk to her about her mission to make a difference in Cleveland and how she became a force to be reckoned with in the world of underground Cleveland hip hop.
Chris DiamondHello Tarissa I'm happy that we could do this interview because I know that your Label Unbreakable has a lot of big things in the works, how long have you been doing music' - Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeHello Chris, I'm happy to be hear. Well I've been singing since the age of 2 and rapping since around the age of 9. I first started performing around the 4th or 5th grade and dabbled with a few now defunct companies before branching out and starting my own in 2010.
- Chris DiamondTrial and error, the only way we learn. how was your experience when you first started out working with artists as a leader instead of a fellow artist?
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge Georgea headache lol, honestly I knew that it would be a difficult transition but getting artists to understand that I'm not rich, I'm not going to give them $100,000 to sign was quite the task. I took the approach of adviser to artists that contacted me until they were convinced that I may not be rich right now but I have the know how, drive, and tenacity it takes to get there and put them in a better position to achieve there goals
- Chris DiamondBeing and independent business person myself I understand how it can be challenging to get people together without the promise of instant monetary gain, but on the other side when you do find those that are willing to get on board without that huge check prove to be more loyal and driven to make things happen
- Chris DiamondYou have some very talented artists on your roster, a very diverse mix of styles as well, when it comes to making music and albums what are some areas that you try to push boundaries to stay fresh
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge Georgeabsolutely Chris, our current staff and roster consists of a remarkable assortment of talent ranging from inspirational to hardcore underground rap and their dedication and cooperation affords me the motivation needed to jump start and manage their careers and take them to heights that were once just a dream to them. We are pushing the boundaries as far as allowing our artists to be themselves, while developing their PR and other skills required to be strong contenders in this industry.
- Chris DiamondExpression is a vital part of any art form, the absence of any personality takes away that connection. Having a deep connection with your artists also helps make the magic happen also, tell us about ways you connect with your staff to keep them motivated toward success
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeI tell you, it isn't easy and can sometimes be quite frustrating, especially since around 1/3 or our artists are sprinkled across the US. Most artists have egos, I stroke their ego somewhat, but at the same time, I serve humble pie on the regular. We mainly keep in touch through phone, fb, IG, and twitter, we support their triumphs, comfort them through hardships, and joke around like old pals. I genuinely love and respect all of my artists and they all bring a unique personality to the table. We are currently in the process of planning semi annual workshop/retreats to get more acquainted with each other and prepare the artists for getting out on the open road where some of us will be forced to be in close quarters for the duration of tours etc. I regularly check in with artists, and yet sometimes I don't contact them to see if they can handle doing a few things on their own. Being independent is one trait I require out of our artists because there are a lot of us and we've got a lot going on.
- Chris DiamondTell us more about touring because that is a huge move any artists can make! Where are the stops? Who will you be performing with from your camp and will you have merchandise for your fans to purchase?
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeCurrently we're still in the discovery stage because up until into this year I've been running the company basically by myself but our Humble Beginnings Tour which we plan to have up and running by Spring or Summer 2014 will include stops that are less familiar to the industry cats because those are the best fans, We will definitely be in Alabama, Mississippi, Texas, Georgia, Ohio, and Louisiana for starters because that's where most of our artists are from. I'm hoping to have our whole roster perform at various intervals, I'm definitely going to be sure that the artists get to perform in their own home towns so that everyone gets a chance to perform at some time. We are definitely in the process of getting our own merchandise for purchase
- Chris DiamondTell me more about yourself, how did you find yourself in the captains seat of Unbreakable and what life events lead you to your career in music?
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeGood question. Well, I'm a humorous, intelligent (streetwise and book wise) young lady that has survived hardship after hardship but refused to let it keep me down. The circumstances surrounding my decision to create a label and name it Unbreakable began in 2009. I was at odds with my old group members (Gambino) fell out with my former best friend over something I had nothing to do with, was going through custody issues with my children and was distraught over a terrible break up with my children's father. I was at a point where I had no where to go, no one to talk to, no one to comfort me and even had to move home with my mom. I literally asked myself one day wallowing in my seclusion if I was going to quit. Tears and all, I said out loud "Hell Naw, I'm Unbreakable Bitch!" and that became the name of our company.
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeI've always been musically inclined and I would have to say that by the 6th grade my mind was made up that the music industry was my passion
- Chris DiamondI love it! What a story, we need more of that, if we could bottle it we could be billionaires There are many sides to running a label other then attracting and retaining talent, do you work with a street team or interns to help with the day to day duties or is it all on you and your inner circle?
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeAt this time, its all me and our inner circle. Once we've created a bigger name for ourselves, are more involved with our community and are looked at as not just another one of these flash in the pan entities that seems to pop up every other day, we will begin building street teams. I'm in the process of creating 2 non profit organizations, one for Unbreakable Records and one for Solomon Cain in which we will be training and accepting internships from students interested in a career in the entertainment industry.
- Chris DiamondWorking within the community is very important and rewarding, when you show the kids that there is another way you help the whole world at the same time, its like a ripple effect.
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeAbsolutely and the fact that there aren't a lot of entities that sincerely care about the children is the very reason we have so much violence here in Cleveland. If we give these kids something to do, if we give them skills and knowledge, they will grow too improve our environment with the know how needed to keep it going
- Chris DiamondBuild a network of strong Leaders, Pioneers that will blaze a trail for the next generation to come up through. Violence was always a way of life in Cleveland, but its counter productive in the long run.Do you have any upcoming releases or projects being worked on that you can speak upon to our viewers and where can we go to purchase and download Unbreakable artists music?
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeExactly. And its the direct result of lack of structure and leadership. We lost our VP Harvey "Hot Da Hustla" Phillips to gun violence last October and its still fresh on my mind and heart. He is the reason that I picked up the pace, added more members and started to push harder than ever to obtain success and to take some talented, worthy individuals with me. We vow to be a solution out here.
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeYes, so far we've got Something for the Streets which was just released yesterday by TaeTiggy of CBOD, Up Hills to Go by the late Hot Da Hustla is scheduled for October 7th, (the day he passed away), we are re-releasing Solomon Cain's Invictus with more tracks December 12th, My album The Big PayBack is due out February 21'st 2014 and we have various other projects underway. Matter of fact, after this interview I am to meet with some people about possibly performing at an upcoming King Chip concert.
- Chris DiamondI'm happy to hear that you decided to make your terrible loss into a reason to work even harder, the true testament of a true leader, good for you and I'm sorry for your loss. Hard work and dedication to the cause will see you and Unbreakable in the center of truly great things!
- Chris DiamondGreat! Everyone should pick up the new "Suttin 4 tha Streets 2 mixtape, straight banger!! And also make sure to check out the other links to keep up with everything Unbreakable Records has to offer. I had great time talking with you Tarrisa, I hope to work with Unbreakable even more in the coming months and years to come, with a cause like helping the kids who wouldn't want to lend a hand? From the whole CTV/Radio Family I wish you success and good luck on your path as CEO of Unbreakable Records!
- Tarissa UnbreakableSuge GeorgeThank you Chris I am honored to have talked with you and from Unbreakable Records to you and the whole CTV/Radio Family we wish you continued success and innovation. God speed, and we will definitely remain in touch. Thank you for this opportunity.


No comments:
Post a Comment